To get started with the art of oil painting you are faced to buy the materials needed. Oil painting materials are quiet expensive and there are many varieties of materials to choose from which is little hard for the oil painting beginner. What we have here is a guide for you in purchasing your oil painting materials.
1. Choosing the right easel for your painting? You have to consider some few things like what is it made of the height. The most important thing to remember is to have an easel that is sturdy. Many easels can be bought in art shops but if you do not have a budget then you can make one for your own. There are tips on how to make an easel that is just right for you. Having a self made easel gives you an ease of not adjusting anything when using because you can make it to put the canvas where you wanted. Portable easels are mostly used if you wanted to paint outdoors or out of your working place.
2. Next are white bristle brushes. Get a variety of brushes and it is suggested to get animal hair brushes and not the synthetics brush. Animal hairbrush handles the pigment better and is more natural than synthetic hairbrush. Q-tips cotton are also better in oil painting because they can create very subtle stroke with its soften edges. Using white bristle brushes needs more practice though. It is recommended to use a shaving brush, cut it with a brush cutter.
3. Pads of wax coated paper or disposable palettes is also needed when create your painting. When you use only one, tear it off and its fine but it is suggested that you get to disposable palettes. One is for putting your colors down, while the other one is used for mixing colors only.
4. Different oils can be mixed with your pigments. Start with Cold Pressed Linseed oil but you can experiment later on. The latter oil mentioned earlier is extracted from trees and is general purpose oil. A palette knife is to be used when mixing the oil and resins into the pigments. Alkyd resin is needed to fasten the drying time of the pigments. If you are not familiar with alkyd buy a general purpose one until you know which one you want to use.
5. Other essential materials are paint thinner or mineral spirits. In using these substances make sure to get one that is not too smelly or strong because these are not that good to ones. Brush washer is also needed to put the paint thinner in and wash your brushes. Rags are preferred for messes and cleanups.
6. Canvas boards are good for oil painting practice. Prepare your canvas and buy it unprimed. There are pre-stretched canvases available in department stores or art shops though this comes with a price.